Here at Search Factory the Adwords Keyword Planner is not just for managing SEM campaigns. Our SEO and Content Marketing teams also reap the benefits of the tool in a range of different ways. Today I am going to walk you through two ways it can be used to find new keywords and their search volumes.
Find new keywords to optimise
The first benefit of the keyword planner is that it can help us to determine new keywords for our SEO campaigns. This is very beneficial in that it helps us define important keywords we should optimise – a crucial step for all SEOs!
Let’s walk you through the steps:
1) Sign into your Adwords account, click the Tools drop down menu, and select “Keyword Planner”.
2) Once you are in the keyword planner select the “search for new keyword and ad group ideas”. The following screen will appear:
3) The next step is to fill in the blanks for your product or service, your landing page and your product category.
Let’s breakdown what each of these mean:
“Your Product and Service” – This is where you enter a few relevant keywords for your company.
“Your Landing Page” – This is where you enter the website page you are targeting e.g. internal or homepage.
“Your Product Category” – This is where you can select specific industry based keyword.
4) Once the blanks have been filled out, fill out any necessary targeting information to add relevance to your search.
You can choose from the following customisable options:
- What country do you want the results from?
- What language do you want the results from?
- What search engine do you want the results from?
- There is also the option to select negative keywords but this is only beneficial if you plan to run the Adwords campaign.
5) Customise your search by selecting “keyword filters”. You can then fill in your “average monthly searches” and “competition” level. This is where you can filter out options that don’t meet specific search volume criteria or specific levels of competition.
6) The “keyword options tool” is mainly for Adwords options so it can remain as is, however, if you have a list of keywords that your wish to exclude from the search simply click on the “keywords to exclude” button and add in the list.
7) Select the “get ideas” button and you will be directed to the results page. Finally, select the “keyword ideas” tab for your results.
Determine search volume for keywords
Once you have determined your list of keywords (or perhaps if you are lucky enough to already have a list of keywords) you can upload them into the keyword tool to determine their search volumes.
This is a particuarly useful tool for SEOs or content marketers with a long list of keywords who want to check their search volume to determine which to target. Here’s how it’s done.
1) Once you are in the keyword planner select the “get search volume for a list of keywords or group them into ad groups” option. The following screen will appear:
2) Copy and paste the list of keywords you wish to analyse into the search field or upload a CSV file.
3) Fill out any necessary targeting information (country, search engine, negative keywords) to add relevance to your search.
4) Once completed, select “Get search volume” to see your results. And there you have it!
These are just two of the many ways SEOs and Content Marketers can use the keyword planner tool. But as you can see, if utilised correctly, the Adwords keyword planner can be the perfect companion for both.
Want to learn more about the keyword planner or how you can integrate it into your SEO strategy? Contact us today and have a chat to one of our SEO experts.