Many of our clients have On-site SEO issues and we provide recommendations to optimise your website for peak performance in search engines. But once you have reviewed your On-Site SEO and written new Titles, Metas and Headings (around Keyword Research), or if you’ve hired a SEO Agency to provide recommendations, you then need to go back to your web developer to fix your SEO issues, right? Wrong! SEO Yoast can be used to implement On-site SEO factors!
If you’re like millions of website owners your website is probably built on WordPress, one of the best content management systems available and implementing On-site SEO recommendations can be a simple and easy process that you, or one of your employees, can do without involving your web developer. To check if your website is indeed a WordPress site simply type www.[yoururl].com.au/wp-admin/ ( E.g. www.example.com.au/wp-admin/ ) into your browser and if a login screen comes you have WordPress!
You may need to obtain these credentials from your web developer if you don’t already have them This tutorial is divided into Two Sections: Part 1 will walk you through How To Install SEO Yoast for WordPress & Adding On-site SEO elements to your Webpage (including Title, Meta Description, Focus Keywords and H1 & H2 Headings). Part 2 is a Troubleshooting Section at the end with resolutions to common issues that SEO Yoast will highlight when you do a SEO Check at the end of the tutorial.
This blog post is documented with screenshots to guide you through each step, so if you don’t quite follow a section or can’t find the mentioned area, simply scroll down and have a look at the highlighted areas on the screenshot.
PART 1: Optimising SEO Factors with SEO Yoast
Installing the SEO Yoast for WordPress Plugin
1. Click the Plugins tab on the left hand sidebar.
2. Search for “yoast” and click Install Now on WordPress SEO by Yoast.
3. Click OK and Activate Plugin.
Configuring Settings for SEO
1. Click Settings on the left sidebar.
2. Enter the branded section of your Title ( e.g. | Search Factory” ) into the Site Title field.
3. Scroll the the bottom and click Save Changes.
Applying Keyword & Meta Description On-site SEO Recommendations
1. Click Pages on the left sidebar and Select the Page you’re optimising.
2. Scroll down to the WordPress SEO by Yoast field.
3. Enter Target Keywords and Meta Description into their corresponding fields.
Apply Title & Heading On-site SEO Recommendations
1. Scroll to the Top of the Page.
2. Add your Page Title to the field at the top, under Edit Page.
3. Click the Text tab.
4. Enter your H1 Heading at the top of the page, enclosed by the appropriate heading tags ( i.e. <h1>[Heading 1 data]</h1> ).
5. Do the same for H2 Heading which should be spaced further down the page and enclosed by its heading tags ( i.e. <h2>[Heading 2 data]</h2> ).
6. Click the Visual tab (next to the Text tab) and ensure the layout looks good.
7. Click the Update button (next to Move to Trash).
8. Click the SEO Check text above the Update button.
Part 2: Troubleshooting Issues with SEO Yoast Page Analysis
In this section we’ll visit common issues that SEO Yoast will point out after performing the SEO Check. The below image shows some of the common issues with On-site SEO Optimisation.
This section of the tutorial will highlight these issues and provide advice on how to fix them. The image at the bottom of this section will show a SEO Yoast Check Page Analysis with most areas perfectly optimised – something you should strive for on every page to ensure your pages are at optimum performance for ranking in search engines.
Issue: Any issue relating to Meta Description, Page title, Heading or Subheading.
Fix: Read over the above steps again and make sure you haven’t missed a step; you should be able to achieve green lights for all these areas with this guide.
Issue: Less than 300 words contained in body copy.
Fix: Ensure at least 500 words are written on each page and they contain focus keywords.
Issue: Keywords doesn’t appear in first paragraph of copy.
Fix: Place the Target Keywords into the first sentence, in a natural way.
Issue: This keyword / phrase has been used before.
Fix: Consider using a different Focus Keyword / phrase, each Keyword should be unique and relevant to the page content. Consider using Long-tail Keywords as opposed to Generic, Broad Keywords for best results.
Issue 1: No images appear in this page.
Issue 2: Image does not contain alt text.
1. Select the area on the page for the image to be inserted.
2. Click Add Media button (or Add picture) below the Title & URL areas and browse to the selected file.
3. Fill out the Title and Alt Text with a sentence containing the keyword.
4. Press the Insert button and ensure the layout looks good.
Issue: URL does not contain keywords.
Fix for New Pages: Click the Edit button next to the URL (Permalink) and change the URL to include the keywords between hyphens ( E.g. “sample-page” ).
Fix for Existing Pages: You should consult your web developer about this issue as editing the URL may cause broken links on the site and search engines directing visitors to a page that no longer exists.
Issue: Keyword Density too high/too low.
Fix: Either add or remove occurrences of the Target Keywords and repeat the SEO Check process until it is acceptable. Remember to write these in sentences that flow naturally and make sense avoid Keyword Stuffing.
Issue: Copy scores low on the Flesch Reading Ease test.
Fix: After applying the above recommendations to have over 500 words on the page and an acceptable level of Keywords Density, read over your page content and ensure it reads well and make sense. Remember, the Flesch tool is a robot trying to understand how humans read, if it makes sense you can ignore this section.
Writing On-site SEO Titles, Meta Descriptions, Target Keywords and H1 & H2 Headings based around Proper Keyword Research can be a difficult and time consuming process for those not experienced in SEO Optimisation. Search Factory provide SEO Services, including Keyword Research and On-site Recommendations, which would transform the above steps into a quick and easy Copy + Paste process! Contact us today to discuss how we can help your business excel in SEO!
Thank you for reading! Please Share this article with your friends and colleagues, it might just be the helping hand they need to get their Page Optimised!